History of The Red Mass
The "Red Mass" is a historical tradition within the Catholic Church dating back to the thirteenth century when it officially opened the term of the court for most European countries.
The celebrants--government officials, lawyers and judges--would proceed into a church clothed in red vestments or red
garments, signifying the fire of the Holy Spirit's guidance to all who pursue justice in their daily lives.
This important historic tradition was introduced into the United States in 1928 in the Church of St. Andrew, located in New York City.
The Mass was presided over by His Eminence Patrick Cardinal
Haves, who strongly encouraged and supported the involvement of the legal community in spreading the Word of God.
The Red Mass is currently celebrated in dioceses throughout the United States, including many of the dioceses of Florida, to invoke God's blessing upon the members of the Bench, Bar, Legislature, Law Enforcement and Governmental agencies, all protectors and administrators of the Law.
The St. Thomas More Society of South Florida was officially founded on
December 14, 1989. A Red Mass was first celebrated in Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, by His Excellency, Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy on February 10, 1990, at St. Anthony's Catholic Church. Since
that time it has been celebrated yearly, and it, as well as the reception that follows, is now one of the premier and largest-attended annual events for lawyers and judiciary in South Florida. At the reception each year, a distinguished speaker addresses an audience of as many as 580 attendees and The Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy Award is presented to a member of the legal community who typifies the moral principles espoused by St. Thomas More.
Monday, June 17, 2013 5:30 p.m
Reception following at Marriott
Harbor Beach Resort
Mass location - St. Anthony
901 N.E. 2nd St.
Fort Lauderdale, 33301
Time for Mass - 5:30
Time for reception -
Time for dinner -
Reception and dinner location -
Marriott Harbor Beach Resort
3030 Holiday Drive
Jordan, Judge, United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Cost - $95 per
This will be the 24th
St. Anthony Church
Red Mass Receptions and Dinners : PHOTOS
|The St. Thomas More Society's
"Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy Award" Recipients: "The King's good servant-but God's first." |
Distinguished Speakers at Red Mass
- 1993 - Arch. Edward
- 1994 - Hon. Estella M. Moriarty
- 1995 - Charles T. Kessler, Esq.
- 1996 - Rev. Patrick C. McDonnell
- 1997 - James D. Camp, Jr., Esq.
- 1998 - Anthony J. Karrat, Esq.
- 1999 - Joseph M. Loughren, Esq.
- 2000 - Hon. Arthur M. Birken
- 2001 - Timothy Lee Donnelly, Esq.
- 2002 - Sister John Norton, O.P.
- 2003 - Joseph W. Lawrence, II, Esq.
- 2004 - Daniel P. J. O'Connor, Esq.
- 2005 - Henry Latimer, Esq.
- 2006 - Douglas M. McIntosh, Esq.
- 2007 - Hon. Martin Bidwill
- 2008 - Hon. Federico Moreno
- 2009 - Msgr.Vincent T. Kelly
- 2010 - Robert J. Hunt, Esq,
- 2011 - Hon. Lurana S. Snow,
United States Magistrate, Southern District of Florida
- 2012 - Ray Ferrero, Jr.,
Chancellor, Nova Southeastern University
- 2013 - James E. Zloch, Esq.
1990 - Rev. Robert J.
Drinan, S. J., former United States Congressman
1991 - Cardinal Adam Maida, Archdiocese of Detroit
1992 - Sister Jeanne
O'Laughlin, O.P., President, Barry University
1993 - Daniel Morrissey, Dean, St. Thomas University Law School
1994 - Charles E. Rice, Professor, University of Notre Dame Law School
1995 - Hon. C. Clyde Atkins, United States District Court Judge
1996 - Harry Lee Anstead, Judge, United States District Court, Southern District of
1997 - Hon. W. Herbert Moriarty, Broward County Circuit Judge
1998 - Hon. Kathleen A. Kearney, Broward County Circuit Judge
1999 - United States Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
2000 - Hon. Peter T. Fay, Judge, United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
2001 - United States Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
2002 - Rev. Edward A. Malloy, President,
The University of Notre Dame
Justice Harry Lee Anstead, Justice, Florida Supreme Court
2004 - Avery Cardinal Dulles,
S.J., internationally-known theologian
2005 - Justice Charles Wells, Justice, Florida Supreme Court
2006 - Justice Raoul J.
Cantero, III, Justice, Florida Supreme Court
2007 - Hon. Charlie
Crist, Governor, State of Florida
2008 - Hon. Gerald Bard Tjoflat, Judge, United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
2009 - Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick, Archbishop.
2010 - United States Senator George
2011 - Donna E. Shalala,
President, University of Miami
2012 - Hon. Peggy Quince, Justice, Florida Supreme Court
- 2013 - Honorable Adalberto Jordan, Judge, United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
|Back to Top
The Saint Thomas More Society of South Florida extends its gratitude to the following sponsors whose past and continuing generous financial
support has helped make this outstanding annual event possible.
2012 Law Firm Sponsors:
- Bogenschutz, Dutko & Kroll, P,A.
- Brinkley Morgan, Attorneys at Law
- Broad & Cassel
- Robert M. Bulfin, P.A.
- Heather Butler Bush, Esq.
In Loving Memory of Earle Lee Butler, Esq.
- Camp & Camp, P.A.
- Catri, Holton, Kessler, Kessler & Kessler, P.A.
- Conrad & Scherer, LLP
- David W. Crane, P.A.
- Cubit & Cubit, P.A.
- Ferencik, Libanoff, Brandt, Bustamante & Williams, P.A.
- Fowler, White & Boggs, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig, LLC
- Green, Murphy & Murphy, P.A.
- Hinshaw & Culbertson
- Hunt & Gross, P.A.
- The Kelly Law Firm
- Paula C. Kessler, Esq. & Kenneth D. Cooper, Esq.
- Krupnick, Campbell, Malone, Buser, Slama, Hancock, Libennan & McKee, P.A
- Loughren and Doyle, P.A.
- Massey, Colcan & Schuster, LLC
- McIntosh, Sawran Peltz & Cartaya, P.A.
- Moskowitz, Mandell, Salim & Simowitz, P.A.
- Patrick J. Murphy & Associates, P.A.
- Panza, Maurer & Maynard, P.A.
- Richardson & Tynan, P.L.C.
- Roselli & McNelis, P.A.
- Law Offices of Robert M. Roselli
- Rotella Law, P.A.
- Russomanno & Borrello, P.A.
- John P. "Jack" Seiler
Mayor, City of Fort Lauderdale
- Seiler, Sautter, Zaden, Rimes & Weihe
- Michael J. Styles, Jr., P.A.
- Vezina, Lawrence & Piscitelli, P.A.
- Frank C. Walker, P.A.
- Law Offices of Marshall C. Watson, P-A.
Donald A. Wich, Jr, Esq.
- Margaret and Donald A.Wich, Sr., Esq.
- AutoNation, Inc.
- Blue Marlin Title Corporation
- Boucher Brothers Management, Inc,
- Brandy's Bail Bonds
- Broward Bank of Commerce
- City Furniture
- CopyScan, Inc.
- Thomas F. Jordan, C.P.A.
- Legal Video Services, Inc.
- Mankind Grooming & Services for Men
- Ruth Stein Cohen Foundation
- Sabadell United Bank
- Southern Wine & Spirits of America, Inc.
- St. Anthony's Catholic Church
- Tropical Acres Steak House, Inc
- Wings Plus
We also thank the members of
St. Thomas More Society of South Florida
for their support of the 24th annual Red Mass 2013
Back to Top
|Special Thanks to the Following for the Annual Red Mass|
Back to Top
Thomas G. Wenski
- Archbishop Thomas G. Wenski
for his support of our organization
- St. Anthony Catholic Church Choir
for its beautiful music at the Red Mass